Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What Amazons Wear

I think Hippolyta is actually a fairly good fashion inspiration. Not Wonder Woman's mother, but the Hippolyta from Greek mythology, the Amazon who had the magical golden girdle.

Like this Amazon, for instance, who appears to be wearing a cute patterned dress over patterned tights. I would totally wear this, although maybe without the helmet and spear. And I think her outfit is supposed to be made of the hides of wild animals -- I would probably go with something like this instead:


I can't believe how much that dress looks like the one in the vase painting! All the sale Milly dresses at Net-a-Porter look like something an Amazon would wear. Sadly, even if I had $400 to spend on a dress, I couldn't fit into any of those sizes.


But the plus-size website Alight has a lot of cute little patterned dresses on sale, like this one.

Ooh! This one looks like a Greek vase and is only $34.99! Must ... not purchase ... Amazon dress ...

1 comment:

WendyB said...

I totally approve of ancient fashion inspiration.