Monday, November 3, 2008

Next Halloween



Let's face it, I own a lot of costumey clothing that I wear every day. I like ruffles. I like gaudy jewelry. I like anything that looks like it came from a previous time period. Usually I try to keep it to one costumey piece per outfit, with everything else fairly simple. But Halloween gives you total freedom to wear all of your over-the-top pieces at the same time. This year I wore the puffy shirt, the chain belt (as a necklace), a bright green belt (actually from Lane Bryant), and as many piratical accessories as I could scrounge up. This was a last-minute costume attempt. Fortunately, I already owned a pirate hat and an octopus necklace.

I think I looked more like one of the Three Musketeers than a pirate. But Oliver was wearing a black beard, hook, and eye patch, so that helped people identify us.

I like the idea of creating a costume out of real-life clothes just by adding an accessory or two. Next year I'm thinking about basing my costume on something like this gorgeous tiara from LuxeDeluxe ...
... or maybe a giant butterfly hat from Jenniferbelland ...

... or -- my favorite idea -- one of these amazingly cool felt beards from Imadeyouabeard.

1 comment:

WendyB said...

That beard is hilarious.