Friday, September 5, 2008

After the Fall

I don't particularly like the bandage-y look in fashion.

And I especially don't like the look I'm sporting today after my fall down the stairs. In spite of what the makers of those boots might want you to believe, bandages are not pretty.

So I'm concealing my legs until they start healing a bit, and that poses a problem for me because: I HATE pants. Hate them. Long skirts are obviously the solution. They won't irritate my legs, they provide easy access to the bandages in case I need to re-adjust them, and basically, they are the perfect leg injury garment.

So here is what I'll be wearing for a while:



In my tragic high school days, I wore long A-line skirts made of the stiffest material I could find -- denim or poplin or something equally atrocious. (WHY? I think I was trying to look like my mother, who is an elementary-school teacher.) I will never make that mistake again. I still have long skirts, but now they are in soft flowy fabrics and have a slim cut, maybe flared at the bottom. This week I'm wearing them with long, slim tops. And safe, flat shoes. Just to be sure I don't lose my balance.



Maxi-dresses are another way to go, because I do live in Florida, and it is still summer here. I'm adding brightly-colored flats and fancy bracelets to distract people from my limp.

Sigh. Soon I'll be able to wear cute short dresses like this one without looking quite so literally like a fashion victim.

No comments: