Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Snake Goddess

This dress of the day from The Fashion Police reminded me how much I like a few tiers or ruffles in a skirt. It also reminded me, however, of the time a few years ago when I interviewed for a teaching job. I was wearing a black suit. My interviewer was wearing something that looked like this:

Oh, yes, seriously. There is a lot of freedom to dress the way you want in my profession, which is one reason I love it. And while I had some trouble focusing in the presence of giant rainbow-colored tiers, I knew the look my colleague was going for, and I sympathized. She had just been inspired by this fashion icon:

The Minoan Snake Goddess. She's one of two little figurines discovered on the island of Crete, made around 16oo BCE. They might be goddesses, or priestesses -- no one really knows much of the details of Minoan culture. (And we won't know until someone manages to translate Linear A. You might want to get on that, Internet.) As far as I'm concerned, the main thing this figurine tells us is that the Minoans had cute outfits. I mean, you probably want to shorten the skirt, lose the apron, and, I don't know, put on a shirt. But once you've done that, this is a totally wearable outfit:


It's just a tiered skirt with a fitted, three-quarter-sleeved jacket. You could add a wide belt if you want to look even more like the Snake Goddess. Cute and trendy!

The other Snake Goddess figurine appears to be wearing live snakes for bracelets.

I would replace them with some snaky jewelry.
(From top left, reading across and down: Itty Bitty Drop Sterling Silver Earrings from Phoebestreasures; Serpent Necklace from Zeba; Ouroboros Ring from PocketandSpark; Vintage Snake Arm Bracelet from Ricracandbuttons; Vintage Etched Snake Clamper Bracelet from Viciousvintage; Brass Wurm from Ragtrader.

I don't recommend wearing a cat on your head, though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This was an awesome post and what a good sense of humor you have! It is difficult sometimes to find something both well done, informative and funny.

potsy said...

Hello