Thursday, September 4, 2008

Oh, Let There Be Nothing on Earth But Laundry

Yesterday I had lunch at my favorite restaurant by myself. I spent the time looking out the window and thinking. Mostly about what was in front of the window, which was a clothesline of pretty vintage aprons. They were pink and green and gold, and the Florida sun was shining through them, and it made me want to recreate the effect in my kitchen. And also to go home and look up this awesome poem by Richard Wilbur about clotheslines, where he says:

"Oh, let there be nothing on earth but laundry,
Nothing but rosy hands in the rising steam
And clear dances done in the sight of heaven."

And then I got up to leave and fell down a flight of stairs, which kind of ruined the moment. Still:

Aprons are pretty.

(Orange Fish Vintage Apron from Etsy seller Tita; Vintage Apron Dotty Gingham Aqua from Etsy seller Paisley Path; Vintage White Apron with Orange Lace Trim available on Ebay; Vintage Cotton Apron Circles from Etsy seller Sfisher08; Vintage Apron Mod from Etsy seller Retrochicboutique; Orange Vintage Apron from Etsy seller Tita; Polka Dot Apron from Etsy seller Edelweiss Vintage; Vintage Homemade White/Yellow Appliqued Apron available on Ebay; Pretty Pleats Vintage Cocktail Half Apron from Etsy seller Beyond the Valley.)

No comments: